Sunday, June 26, 2005

Acknowledging Christ

I was recently studying Matthew 10, and found many interesting concepts to consider, some that I have expounded upon in an earlier post entitled Discipleship. I would like to look now at verses 32 and 33. Everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father. But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my heavenly Father. (NASB) Simple verses to understand, and yet so true. Are we willing to acknowledge Christ before others? As Christians, that should be our primary aim and focus. It is the essence of what makes us Jesus zealots.

But now lets look at the other side of the picture. How often do we deny Christ. How often are we in a group setting and someone makes some vulgar joke and we let it go uncontested. What if someone takes the name of the Lord in vain? Do we just say nothing, hoping to appear as part of the in-group, and in essence denying Christ? I know I am often guilty of denying Christ. There are other ways, too. Let's strive toward the crown so that when we get in the presence of our heavenly father, we do not hear the terrible words, “I never knew you.”